06 December 2007

The Kite Runner

Tonight, I saw an advanced screening of the Kite Runner, a movie of which I had absolutely no prior knowledge of--meaning I hadn't seen a trailer yet, because Lord knows I would have known the plot, subplots, conflicts, and characters within two and a half minutes, negating the need to actually watch the movie. Trailers today are like Sparknotes: get the story and pass the test, but miss the experience.

But I digress. The movie was incredible. All I knew going in was that the PG-13 rating specified it was due to harsh language, some brief gore, and the sexual assault of a child. Needless to say, I was on pins & needles waiting for the atrocity, but even after, I was completely absorbed. I can barely form sentences right now, and cannot even think of specifics, not that I would dare want to give a plot point away and lessen the impact of the film as a whole. So let me say, this is a film that will break you in half and stitch you back up crookedly. It is a superb representation of Middle Eastern culture, beautifully written, and wholly one of the most heartbreaking movies I have ever seen. Spend your eight dollars on this.

1 comment:

Elaine C Miller said...

you should read the book. it's even better.