29 August 2009

Bad Design

So, by force, I'm taking Design Systems I this semester. Over the weekend, we're supposed to find some examples of bad design to think about. I'm not required to bring anything into class but I thought I'd post a blog of the few examples I thought of off the top of my head tonight.

1) Sunkist's logo redesign.

I don't know what was wrong with the old logo. I realize companies like to redesign their identity from time to time to reinvent their public image or increase attention in advertising, but I liked the old logo. It was simple and summery; it said orange soda to me. The new logo says jam band. And it's hideous.

2. Comcast's website.

This is the worst designed website I have ever seen. I absolutely loathe it. Things are not organized into an easily navigable order. You literally have to hunt through several pages to find the section you need. Even the FAQs are disorganized. I can see they're attempting to go for some 1950's schemed theme, but I hate it. The banners aren't even saved at a decent resolution! I hate the site more than I hate the company.

3. Baskin Robbins' redesigned logo.

Okay, to be fair, I actually kind of like this logo, just because it combines the name of the company and the 31 for the 31 flavors BR offers. I also really like when logos have a full name version, and a smaller image. I just.. don't like this odd, angular approach to the letters. It's supposed to be all funky and fun, but I think it usually comes off kindof amateur or tacky.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but those are the few I saw today on my trek downtown.

No comments: